a priori/a posteriori

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Since You Love Updates...

This one really won’t be a classic. I just figured that if I’m going to document the struggles that I have up here in New York, I should go ahead and document the triumphs, too.

Last night wasn’t a great triumph, but it was a nice night of comedy here. It was Memorial Day, so I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to get up once. But I headed over to 'The Creek and the Cave,’ which has daily open-mics at 6 pm, and ended up getting up and doing 5 minutes, even though it was just in front of seven other comics. Then I hopped on the train and headed to Manhattan, where I did an 8 pm open-mic at Eastville Comedy Club. There were 5 audience members and 5 other comics, but the show was actually a lot of fun, and I was really happy with the set I had.

After that show ended, another comic and I hopped back on the subway and headed back to Brooklyn, where we arrived just before a 9 pm open-mic was starting (at 9:35) at a bar called Stone Tavern. The “crowd” was once again just fellow comics, this time about ten, but I had a really good time talking out my thoughts on this clip I saw, and had a really good time with the set.

Then I walked around with my buddy Eli for a little while, killed time for 15 minutes or so, and then called it a night, getting home around 12:30.

So there was really nothing spectacular about last night. But it felt good to get three sets in on a Monday night and to feel like I’m hustling again. I’ve also made the decision that I’ll go ahead and focus on being funny sometimes, which I think may help accelerate any respect that I manage to gain from other comics up here. But that’s a blog for another day. This one was just to say that last night was a good night, and that I hope I have a few more like it.

2 comments:

  1. hey man, im from austin and im writing material so i can start doing open mics...

    i follow your twitter and check your blog pretty often

    keep posting! i enjoy your insights on the comedy life in nyc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

    Keep writing, and try not to put too much pressure on yourself. That first show seems like a huge hurdle to clear, but after you do it, you look back and realize that it was way bigger in your head.

    Good luck down there. If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot Lucas or I an e-mail. We’ll do our best to help.

    ReplyDelete