a priori/a posteriori

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesdays with Hustle

Tuesdays have become my day to hustle. I’m not sure why. I guess it just worked out that way, because there are so many mics, and some of them happen to be clustered together, both time-wise and location-in-the-city-wise. So it allows me to run around a little easier.

Last week I got six sets in. And as I was getting ready to go out a few minutes ago, I ran through the timeline for tonight. And I thought this thought:

“You know, if I play it perfectly next Tuesday, I think I might be able to get 10 sets in.”

I doubt I will - I’d be lucky to get 8 in, really. But just the fact that I could even have that thought - that’s why I moved here. I moved here because I might be able to get 10 sets in next Tuesday. That’s insane. There might be literally one city in the world where you can have that thought. 10 sets on a Tuesday.

It’s also, literally, insane - at least a little bit. I wonder how many comics alive have done 10 sets in 1 night. 100? 200? 300? 500? Maybe? I don’t know. 50? It’s doable. But how many have ever actually done it? How many bother?

That’s the thing. You can’t control what people think of you. But you can control how hard you work. I need to write more offstage. And I need to do a lot of things better, if I want to evolve and really put my stamp on comedy. But I think I can be a hard worker. I think I can do that. There’s more to it than that. But I think I can be the guy that got up 10 times on a Tuesday. Just because I could.


No comments:

Post a Comment