a priori/a posteriori

Thursday, June 14, 2012

New York Comedy Scene Progress

I’ll get into the more personal ways in which I feel like I’m progressing soon.  But I wanted to mention that it’s Thursday, June 14.  And tonight, I’m on a show at Kabin, which is a bar in East Village, over in Manhattan.  It’s one of the better weekly shows in the city, and I’m looking forward to performing on it.  I’m nervous, too.  But I’m excited to get to be on it.

The Thursday night show at Kabin is where Lucas and I saw Mike DeStefano perform, when we first moved here over a year ago.

It’s not a set that will make me famous or anything (there is no such thing, in case you haven’t figured that out yet), but it’s a really nice gesture to be invited to be on it.  It represents that people in and around the scene up here have a certain level of respect for me, and for what I try to do onstage.

So it’s not something that should affect how I approach my comedy, or anything like that.  But it’s something that I’ll accept, say “thank you” for, and then put it in my pouch, as I continue on my journey up here.

Sorry.  I’ve been playing an RPG video game this week.  So the pouch analogy felt like it fit.  But it probably didn’t.  Unless you, too, have purchased the “Humble Indie Bundle,” and have been celebrating your shows this past weekend by exploring the art of different types of nerds as yourself.

I’m a comedy nerd.  I’m hooked.  At least I think I am.  Time will tell.  But this weekend represented something.  Things feel very different, after those shows.

I’ll try to blog about that soon.  But I’m getting to do a great show tonight, and it’s a show that felt very unrealistic a year ago.  So it’s a nice day to reflect, write a quick blog to document it, and wonder what I’ll be doing one year from now, that seems unrealistic to me, in this moment.

Going on 18 months in New York City now.  This is where I’m supposed to be.  I’m earning my spot here.

Yes. Yes, I’m going to shower before the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment