a priori/a posteriori

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I Just Called My Senator, and it feels AMAZING

It took MAYBE two minutes.


The Dakota Pipeline has been bothering me.  I don't know much about the situation.  I haven't been to the Dakotas in over a decade.


But I know enough about history to know that I am not living on my own land.  I am living on land that rightfully belonged -- and present tense, belongs -- to a group of people that my ancestors are not a part of.
_____
So I googled "call my senator"


or something like that.


And after about 20 seconds, I was staring at 6 phone numbers of politicians for my area.


I started with my senator, Mark Warner.


I called and it went to a voicemail system.


"If you have an opinion you would like to share with Mr. Warner, please press 1.  If you would like to speak to a member of Senator Warner's staff, please press 2."


I was in a good mood.  I pressed 1.


"Please leave your opinion for Mr. Warner after the beep."


Beeeeeeeep.


"Hello Mr. Warner.  First of all, thank you for your service.  I am calling about the Dakota Pipeline..."


and I said it mattered to me.  And that I knew it didn't directly impact our great state of Virginia.  But that it still mattered to me, how we treat the rightful owners of this land.  The land we are borrowing.


Then I wished him a happy Thanksgiving.  And hung up.
_____
_____
I hope we start doing it, more and more.


Connecting is a bigger deal than any of us realize.


I'm Late to the Party

No comments:

Post a Comment