a priori/a posteriori

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

1600

Already I am better.
_____
I have been unemployed for all of 6 hours.

So far I've helped raise my baby for 5 of them -- took him on a walk, played toys with him, played catch, changed a diaper full of poop, and dropped juggling balls about a hundred times.  I've put him to bed, and I'm nursing a cider.

And I'm practicing Linear Equations.

It started with Linear Equation Word Problems. 

Those didn't go so well.

I moved on to good old-fashioned Linear Equations.
_____
I don't know how valuable a skill this will be.  But I learned a lot from my previous job.

I got fired from the previous job.  That's how I'll remember it, anyway.  I liked the job -- I got to work with kids and families, I got to give speeches to try to inspire staff, I got to count a bunch of numbers.  It was my dream job.

And I failed.

I fell flat on my face.
_____
_____
But the whole time I was failing, I was growing.  Because the whole time I was failing, I was trying.

Now, I take an imaginary look at myself, from above, and I see a grown man.  I see a father.  I see a husband.  I see a business partner.  I see a CEO, willing to do the things that most people simply choose not to do.

I am back to failing.  But now, I'm failing at math.

Linear Equations, to be exact.

I am Mathman.  Half of the 1600 Point Playbook ground floor.

Bring on the failures.
_____
I can already tell there are patterns.  Clear patterns.

That's the whole thing about standardized tests.

THEY'RE STANDARDIZED.

They have to be a certain thing.  It's not like the SAT has some brilliant coach, who's going to come up with some new strategy you didn't see coming.

They're literally not allowed.  It's standardized.

So the game becomes a different game.  It's not just knowing math.  It's also learning to recognize -- and then recognize more and more quickly -- what the question is asking.
_____
I don't have the perfect way to say this all, yet.

But I see the path forward. 

And I believe in myself, as a professional.  I believe in my ethic, and in my discipline, and in my partner. 

I see the path forward to owning a business that can change the path of a life.
_____
1600 Point Playbook

2 comments: