a priori/a posteriori

Sunday, August 16, 2020

8 pm. Waiting for the day to start

 We are laying in bed. I'm absolutely exhausted. We just spent the past 12 hours putting on a disjointed, unrehearsed, train wreck performance. We co-starred as parents and adults that are in charge and in control. Our audience was one 2 year-old.

Noah is laying in his crib, watching his favorite bedtime show. It's mostly classical music playing over shots of sea turtles. Once he falls asleep, and we can hear his breathing pattern change, then our day starts.

We have no life. We have no friends. We have no time. Love with a child is less about actively loving each other, and more about learning to appreciate your partner's role in the world of the child.  

Or maybe it's not supposed to be that at all. I have no idea.  I've done this exactly as many times as everyone else who does it, and who will ever do it.   None times. 

I have no idea.  But I do recognize the value of it.  I recognize the value of the individual we are performing for. His future is more valuable than both of ours together. 

80 percent of adults aged 18-29 realize global warming is a threat to human life. That number has almost certainly ticked upward,  since whenever the survey was actually done. 

My guess is that about 99 percent of 2 year-olds think so.  They just don't know they know. Or no one is asking them what they think about the year 2090. Or no one is asking them what it will feel like to have their first child in the year 2050.

I miss Vanessa. She is 12 inches away.  We can't talk. It would keep the baby up. 

I don't know why. We aren't that interesting. 

It's been a great six months for our kids,  in a lot of ways.  I guess that's all you really want in life.  

Damn it. He just stood up.

_____

Actually that was pretty nice. He wanted walkies. Walkies is when we walk together to go to sleep. It's nice. We've been skiing it for years now. I'm already dreading the day we can't, and the day he stops asking.  

Since I stayed writing this, Nyah sent me a video to watch.  

I really love my kids. And Vanessa

9:32 at night

Time to start our day


No comments:

Post a Comment