a priori/a posteriori

Monday, January 23, 2012

The Snooze Button

Writing a blog can be a lot like waking up. I woke up today a little after 8 am. I could have gotten up if I really wanted to, but I decided to go back to sleep. I just wasn’t 100 percent ready to get up. I woke up another 3 or 4 times in the next hour, and each time, I could have gotten up and started my day. But I either hit snooze on my phone, or I just shifted my body and put my head back down on the pillow.

That’s what blogging feels like sometimes. I have an idea, or an event, that I want to write about. But it’s just never the perfect time to write it. I could go write that blog. But let me get breakfast first. And then let me watch the highlights from yesterday’s games first. And then let me clean up my room, and listen to music first.

And then you just don’t write anything, until you’re figuratively lying in your bed, listening to the same 12-note sequence on a harp, over and over. And over. You’re not even tired anymore. Being tired is great - you have a legitimate excuse to stay in bed. But when you realize you’re not tired anymore, that’s when it occurs to you that you don’t want to get out of bed. That’s when you realize it’s fear, not exhaustion, that’s making you hit that snooze button.

Lucas and I have kept up this blog for almost a year now. It hasn’t been easy. And to be sure, there have been some days where I’ve hit the snooze button, even though I haven’t been tired.

But today, I got up about 9:15, and I’m going to try to have a productive day. And I’m going to try to have a productive blog. I hope I do a better job of keeping up this blog this next year, and of documenting my experience here in New York, no matter what happens.

Good morning.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate that you include a picture of yourself with each of these blog posts; if I am ever tempted to be envious of your silver-tongued candor, I then remember that you are a scruffy dude sitting half-naked* in a kitchen.

    *(hopefully only half, anyway**)
    **(and hopefully it's the upper half, and you're not pantsless while sporting a tube top***)

    ***(okay maybe I am hoping for this a little)

    ReplyDelete