a priori/a posteriori

Monday, January 23, 2012

Montreal Showcase

I have friends in higher places than me in the comedy world, which is why I’ll be performing on a Montreal showcase next week.

I was never invited to be on a Montreal showcase while I was doing comedy in DC, but I remember the pressure that my buddies felt as they were preparing for them. I got to see my peers suffer through that in Austin. And for myself, this will be the third year in a row that I have to figure out how to leave an impression in six minutes.

I’ve never made it to Montreal, and I’ve never even made it to any sort of secondary round of auditions. So if you’re a young comic, I think you’d be smart to take my advice with a grain of salt.

But as I’m preparing (to prepare) for my show next week, I’m trying to figure out what material to use.

I’ve been trying to ask myself this question: What do I have to offer that is unique? As in, when I’m onstage, what makes that a different experience than when any other comic is onstage?

That’s a tough question. And I don’t really know how to answer it. I think I have a pretty unique take on my experiences with Adderall. I have a pretty clever take on World War II.

Haha. Man. Do you ever have those moments where you can feel 10-years-older-you making fun of current-you? I can feel myself over-thinking this.

Here’s what I probably need to do, in reality: be really funny. Be so funny, that’s it’s “unique.” As in, be funnier than other comics.

Ha. I don’t think that’s exactly it, either. All I know is that I don’t know. That’s pretty much all I know. Two years ago, I took it too seriously, over-rehearsed, and had a rough set because I came off rigid. Last year, I was extremely present, but I came off under-rehearsed, and I practically talked my way through my set.

What will my 3rd go-through be like? I don’t know. Hilariously, when I started this blog post, I was thinking it’d be to give newer comics advice on how to prepare for their Montreal showcase set. I’m glad I provided all of you with so much clarity.

Ha. I’ll let you know how next Tuesday goes. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment