a priori/a posteriori

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Past Week

As I write this, it’s 8:22 on a Wednesday evening. It looks like I’ll be staying in tonight, but in a different way than I probably have in the past.

I had a good first half of the week, probably inspired to hustle by having a comic friend from Austin visit, and him wanting to go out and experience the scene here (and also inspired by a good talk I had with my partner’s uncle - but that’s a different post that will come this weekend). So I got 2 sets in Monday and 3 more last night, including a booked show last night that was by far the best set I’ve had since I moved up here.

Also on Monday night, I went to the Comic Strip for the first time ever, and it was amazing how nice they were to me, just because I was a comic (and knew a couple guys that were there that night). They really seem to go out of their way to treat comics well. It made me wonder what took me so long to get up there.

Last week was an exciting week for me, because for the past month or so, I’ve been putting together an idea for a weekly show that deals with politics and the events of the week. The idea is that it will be in the same vein as The Daily Show, except weekly, I’ll write and perform it, and hopefully, as I get a feel for it, the political lean of the show will be more progressive.

When you’re up here, if you’re paying attention, then you feel pretty crappy if you’re not working on a writer’s packet, or a pilot script, or something else that kind of broadens your portfolio, as a performer.

It’s easy to feel overwhelmed, and it’s easy to get frustrated, because there’s really no feedback and no validation from all the writing you do. So, as I was writing more and more for different blogs of mine and trying to write more political material, I just kind of figured, “Wait...if I’m going to be writing all this crap, why not actually make it into a show?”

So that’s what I’ve started trying to do. Marshall, my buddy from college (referenced in this blog a few months ago), has been dusting off his editing and graphic-making skills, and after a dry-run script last week, we’re ready to shoot the first one tomorrow.

I have no idea what will happen, whether anyone will watch it, whether it will be any good at all, whether we’ll do one or we’ll keep doing it for years. I don’t know anything. But if we even make one - no matter how good or awful it is - I’ll be proud of it. I’ll be proud of at least making the effort to get something off the ground here.

I spent a good chunk of time last week trying to get that together. Hopefully we shoot tomorrow, and we learn from it, and we keep making them. We’ll see. But I haven’t just been sitting on my ass. And neither has Lucas. Even if the results don’t show up for us in the box scores right now, I promise you - we’re trying to figure this out. We’re trying to make sense of this.

It’s 8:41. I gotta go write a script. Lucas is performing in Philly this weekend. I’m headed home to see my family and to head to a childhood friend’s wedding. But we’ll try to keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment