a priori/a posteriori

Thursday, May 7, 2015

There will be no "Richard Pryor Scandal"

Thu  9:12  AM
May 7th, 2015
_____
I wonder who the first politician will be.

That will be a weird day.

_____
It's been a weird year, for the "comedy community"

One of our legends -- one of our heroes -- has gone from being America's sweater-loving grandpa,
to a serial rapist.

Bill Cosby fell from the heavens hard enough to make a Greek God wince.

Which is fine.  People make decisions that impact their own lives, and the lives of others.  And whatever those impacts are, we all deal with the consequences.

For any of us who invested too much emotion into a man we didn't actually know:  lesson (re)learned.

I'll probably write about Cosby more, as I keep writing on here.
_____
_____
But I don't want to support that man, today.  I want to support someone else.

His name was Richard Pryor.  And I think this past year of revelations about one of our "heroes,"

should remind us to appreciate another one, more than ever.
_____
_____
_____
With a little more of the picture filled in, can't we bump Richard even further up the list?

Yes.  I know he's already #1.

He's the greatest stand-up comedian.  Ever.

I know.

Can we put him higher?
_____
In the 1960s and 1970s, Richard Pryor was spending most of his time at the Playboy Mansion.  "Chasing pussy"

Being irresponsible.  Not being a family man.  Shirking his responsibilities.  Being a "boy," and not a "man"

Bill Cosby was on the cover of Time.
He was "America's Dad"
_____
Thu  9:32  AM
May 7th, 2015

I have never met either man.

But I will say this:

If I had to pick a father figure,
I'll take Richard.

I want my dad to be real.
Richard Pryor fan

No comments:

Post a Comment