a priori/a posteriori

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Happy Birthday, Drew Johnson

Hey Drew.  I wanted to give you a quick shout-out.  Even though your birthday was yesterday.

It was great seeing you over the holidays.  I'm glad you were back in the states, and it meant a lot to see you and your brother.
_____
I remember a Bill Murray quote, after he went back for the 50th anniversary of his 1st grade class reunion.

He kind of said that it was easier to be himself and feel comfortable around his 1st grade classmates, because everyone knew each other before all the bullshitting started.

Or something like that.

I'm glad our brothers were friends, and I'm glad your parents weren't scared away by how weird my family was.  And how dirty our home was.  And how old our food was.

I guess when you've been friends since you were 5 with someone, part of the thank you goes to the actual friend.  And part of the thank you goes to the parents.  Because both sides saw something in both families, and thought it made sense to put their kid into that environment.

So happy birthday, buddy.  And the next time you check in with your parents, please thank them again for our families' friendship. 
_____
Chuck E. Cheese's next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment